Earth Day celebrations are taking place around the world and there are many ways you can make a difference in your community and your home. Here are a few ideas:
- Pledge to reduce and recycle. Purchase food products that use less plastic packaging and bring recyclable shopping bags to the grocery store. Shopping at a local Farmer’s Market can also reduce the amount of plastic packaging you consume. If you don’t already recycle at home, pledge to start.
- Plant a tree. Volunteer with a local tree planting organization or simply plant a tree in your own yard.
- Use public transit, carpooling or bicycle. Reduce your carbon footprint by using alternative transport methods such as public transit, carpooling, bicycling or walking.
- Install energy saving devices in your home. Change out those old incandescent bulbs for more energy-efficient bulbs, add a programmable thermostat (and be sure to change your air filters) and get low flow fixtures and appliances.
- Attend an Earth Day event. This weekend, there are lots of great Earth Day events taking place in the area that will feature plant sales, live music, family-friendly activities and more!
EYA has long demonstrated a commitment to environmentally sound business practices and building sustainable neighborhoods. Nearly every home we build is LEED certified and no other homebuilder in the Washington area has earned as many LEED certifications. We also build in urban areas where homeowners are within walking distance of transit, shopping, dining and other conveniences. Learn more about our actively selling communities and discover a smarter way to live today!